Week 8 – Design

So for this bot i decided to think a bit outside the simple look design, i proposed a few ideas to my teammates on how we could make our robot have a higher chance of surviving the battles. One of the ideas which we seriously considered was the usage of an EMP device. Marin proposed the usage of something similar to a stung gun. In the rules it states that one bot cannot do anything to the other bot which would bring it harm in the form of breaking it to the point of it not being able to work anymore. This unfortunately ruled out the stung gun option as it could potentially destroy the opponents bot completely. Therefore the EMP seemed doable.

Some early stage rough ideas for overall outer design

EMP is an electromagnetic pulse, also sometimes called a transient electromagnetic disturbance, which is a short burst of electromagnetic energy. Due to the the nature of EMP we had to consider our approach carefully. EMP interference is generally disruptive or damaging to electronic equipment, and at higher energy levels a powerful EMP event such as a lightning strike can damage physical objects such as buildings and aircraft structures. Therefore we would need to use an EMP that didn’t have a high energy level as it would go beyond break the robots, it would also potentially damage the equipment around the vicinity, including mobile phones and laptops.

I went off to research on how to build a simple EMP device, this link had a simple explanation of how to build a EMP device at home. Luckily i had all the necessary components to build it at home. Moving onto the second issue was how to protect our own bot from the EMP, the solution to this was also found on the internet. The Faraday Cage was one solution that could help us protect our bot from EMP. Another solution is much simpler, its to cover the electronic parts in tin foil.

Related image
An example of Faraday’s Cage

However there were issues that became apparent later. In the case of Faraday Cage it was that it would be hard to implement it into design. For the tin foil it had to cover everything so that no wires or components where exposed, which in our design were exposed. This posed an issue, as if we didn’t cover everything properly then we were at risk at damaging our bot.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s